Heather Ashby and her husband have a combined 40 years of experience in the military. That did not prepare her though for the fear that came when her son spent 18 months active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. After his safe return, Heather wanted to do something to show her gratitude. She began writing military romance novels and donates half of all her profits to the Fischer House.
In this podcast, Tom Morkes and Justin Sloan discuss with Heather:
- What the 1st steps and struggles of getting into writing are
- What Heather’s best advice for beginners is
- How Heather’s military experience factored into her writing
- How much research Heather had to do to write her books
- Heather discusses her experience working with co-authors and military advisors
- Heather gives us her insight on how to find and develop good collaborations
- The necessity, benefits and pains of working with professional editors
- Heather tell us why she thinks writing contests are important for new writers
- How Heather has been able to stand out from the crowd in such a competitive genre of writing
- Heather talks about the likelihood of someone becoming a full-time professional writer and gives great tools to help them get there
And don’t forget to check out the book, Military Veterans in Creative Careers! 100% of the proceeds are used to support this podcast.